As we consider the landscape of our nation, we realize there are still a myriad of issues for which we must continue to raise awareness to find better ways to care for our children.
7 serious issues our youth will continue to face this year
- We are ever-conscious of the opioid crisis and drug overdoses.
- We are also experiencing significant mental health issues among our youth.
- Too many children still drop out of school.
- Many issues relate to high Adverse Child Experiences Scores and trauma in the lives of our children.
- Many educational systems are struggling for resources and safety in our schools.
- Our national legislature is still questioning whether or not we will provide adequate healthcare for our children.
- In our urban communities, children are still experiencing death by gunfire, and the list goes on…
However, the awareness of these issues give us a sense of resolve and hope.
There are thousands of professionals like those who work at Lakeside who are committed to help our youth community overcome some of these obstacles.
We as a nation cannot afford to allow these problems to escalate. Standing together, we must persist, determined in these actions:
- We must strengthen our commitment to our children and teenagers, and our support for them must be unwavering.
- We must work diligently in our systems to provide safe and healthy environments for children of all ages.
- The professionals in our systems must be equipped with training and financial support to address these needs.
- We need programs and people to provide what our children need in order to cope and to be successful.
The way we treat our children in this coming year will reflect our character as a nation.
I want to be a part of this movement in this coming year.
I hope you do to.
We realize that these efforts start in every home, family, school, church, civic organization and community.
Let’s touch our children with informed and caring environments going forward, so they will have every chance to thrive!
I wish you and your loved ones a very happy, healthy and safe 2018. Happy New Year to you all and thanks again for reading Lakeside Connect.
We have much to look forward to in the year to come!
Gerry Vassar, President/CEO Lakeside